The economy of the governorate of Sfax is primarily based on the olive oil, fishing and phosphates for a long time ago. Since the 60s, the industrialization of the economy manifests itself through the appearance of small and medium-size manufacturing companies and the development of the tertiary sector.
Despite all these industrial changes, agriculture, particularly olive cultivation, occupies an important position in the regional economy. The agricultural lands occupy almost the total of the surface of the area (be 90%): 639.000 hectares of cultivable grounds, including 326 miles hectares of olive-trees and 87 miles hectares of almond trees.
The area of Sfax is the first olive oil exporter representing 60% of national exports.
54 thousand farmers exploit the agricultural fields. The governorate produces an average of 40% of the olive oil and 30% of almonds in Tunisia, which makes it the first national producer.
|Agricultural Sector Index
|The number of equipped deep wells
||: 48 wells
|The number of surface wells
||: 8682 wells
|A number of milk cows
||: 19500 cows
||: 290 thousand tons
||: 95 million liters
||: 750 million eggs
|Biological agriculture Surface
||: 72700 hectares
|Surface of irrigated fields
||: 13100 hectares
|Surface of irrigated fields equipped with tools for water saving
||: 10400 hectares
|Surface of the public irrigated fields
||: 2800 hectares
|Surface of the areas irrigated around the deep wells
||: 360 hectares
|Surface of the areas irrigated by treated water
||: 300 hectares
Fishing is a strategic activity for the local economy: a modern port infrastructure: 8 fishing ports providing 20 000 tons accounted for 20 % of the national production, including 10 000 tons for exportation accounted for 45% of national exports of sea products. The produced quantity of sea salt constitutes 60% of the national production.
The area of Sfax produces 900 thousand m³ of oil, representing 25% of the national production.
The deposit of natural gas of Miskar extends over a total surface of 352 km² and lays out a capacity of 22.7 billion m³. It represents the most significant source of production of natural gas, accounted for 1.9 billion m³, representing 80% of the national production.
The exports of the area of Sfax currently exceed 900 million dinars / year.
- Sea Products: 10 000 tons = 45% of national exports of sea products ;
- Olive oil: 60% of national exports ;
- Textile ;
- Sea salt: 45% of national exports ;
- Phosphate (3rd) extra: 90% of national exports ;
The economic network
The economic network of the area is very developed. The principal economic sectors are namely agriculture, industry and tourism. Sfax is a large industrial pole, (the second after the area of Tunis) which does not cease to develop, it contains:
- 2300 manufacturing enterprises employing 59000 people ;
- 711 manufacturing enterprises employing more than 10 employees ;
- The manufacturing enterprises employing more than 10 employees offer 40278 workstations ;
- 97 enterprises of international trade ;
- 178 completely exporting manufacturing enterprises employing more than 10 employees ;
- 202 hectares created for the industrial parks ;
- 84 enterprises with foreign contribution and which operate in the sectors of industry, tourism, agriculture and services ;
- 830 wholesale stores ;
- 20500 retail stores ;
- 29 great surfaces ;
- 10 wholesale markets of fruits, vegetables and sea products.